by Sarah Lane Inside Bainbridge
Scott Isenman, the leader of Bainbridge Fireworks, the group that organizes the Eagle Harbor fireworks display each year, says that, even though their entire computer-controlled and music-synchronized $20,000 collection blew up in its Belfair storage container yesterday morning, the show is going ahead full-blast. The reason is that the owner of Aurora Fireworks, the company that designs and puts on the display each year, is dipping into his own pockets to replace the Bainbridge and Poulsbo shows, both of which were destroyed, to the tune of $40,000.
The accident, which happened at 1 a.m. Monday, was the result of a stray gunshot. The owner of the wrecking yard where the fireworks are stored in containers was shooting at targets with his adult daughter when a ricochet struck the container and set off the chain of explosions. He called 911 to report the incident.
Isenman told me that the original Bainbridge display is still not paid for as his organization continues to raise money from individual and business donations. So far they have raised $14,000. To support the fireworks, visit the Bainbridge Fireworks website. You can donate via PayPal through the website, in-person at America West Bank (formerly Viking), or in donation jars such as at ACE, San Carlos, Madison Diner, and Doc’s. Volunteers will be collecting at T&C on Wednesday and Saturday this week.
Photo by Jeff Golden.